Video journey of our miles to Myles, by Uncle Paul

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Starting the Journey

We are nearly through our paperwork journey toward our Rwandan son, which began March 1st, 2008.  The adoption paperwork began at that point, but our journey toward our Rwandan family began 9 years ago when we lived and loved in Rwanda.  After experiencing the culture, finding life-long friends, and even having a Rwandan wedding, we knew Rwanda would be part of our lives as long as we live here on earth.  

For me, living in Rwanda changed my life on so many levels.  Especially my spiritual life, I had never seen such extreme poverty combined with post-genocide living.  The faith that my friends had who had lost EVERYTHING--loved ones, entire families, innocence, homes...were filled with JOY despite all that they had been through.  There was an intense desire to know God and be filled with His Truth.  I think when poverty-induced death surrounds you daily, the brevity of this life causes you to think about Eternity on a very real level.  I went to Rwanda because I felt that the Lord had opened a door for me to teach at an English-speaking school as well as work with a group of artisan-widows from the genocide.  I thought I was going to "help" but instead I felt that I was ultimately the one who was helped.  God opened my prideful eyes to Him in a way that broke me.  I want to need Him on a daily/hourly/minute-by-minute basis like those Christ-followers did/do in Rwanda.  


No comments: