Video journey of our miles to Myles, by Uncle Paul

Friday, March 20, 2009

Valued

This picture was taken on the border of Congo/Rwanda when Peter (then with World Relief) and I worked at the refugee camp in 2002 when the volcano erupted in Goma. We were up in the mountains and it was actually COLD. This tiny boy was only wearing an old t-shirt and stayed close to me in the large crowd of displaced people. I remember holding him for a long time, just looking at him that way-trying to somehow convey to him with my eyes and touch & pathetic attempt at Swahili, that he was so loved and valued by his Maker. I could write pages about all that I learned through the experience of those disaster-response days after the volcano erupted and the earth continued to shake.



It's Friday again-and the news we got this week is that our paperwork needs to be updated-but it will not delay our adoption at all. We have our home study update happening a week from today and all the clearance requests (6 of them) are filled out and being notarized and/or mailed today.

Yesterday I had a fun friend day - it reminded me of Rwanda with a flow of friends dropping in and out. Keith, Liliana, and I had a great few hours in the afternoon watching "baby Luke"-a 5 month old adorable baby. It was touching to watch the kids talk to him, try to help me give him his bottle, read him stories, and even help me get him when he woke up from his nap -don't worry Jenn, not with their hands, just their smiles and greetings! (yes, he slept in Myles' crib-so cute!) We changed him on Myles' changing table and it was a delight to watch Luke giggle when he noticed the hanging mobile & large colorful circles of fabric on the wall. As we kissed, cuddled, laughed, and snuggled with our adorable friend - we couldn't help but think what our family will look like when our brother/son comes home. I let Keith & Lili answer the phone when it rang during our Luke time...and each time, the first things out of their mouths after "hello" were "We have a baby here-but he's not ours, just our friend Luke." (cute little disclaimer!!!)

We continue to pray for Myles and really really really hope this next week brings news and pictures and a large step toward bringing him home.

No comments: